A mother who lost her baby and two children to a house fire has told her story of survival and how she’s raised her three sons.
Key points:Sandra and her husband Chris had a house burning in Melbourne’s west in MarchThis was the worst house fire in the past 40 years, killing two of the couple’s children and leaving them homeless and without food, food banks and clothingSandra said she had no idea how to cook or clean after losing her son and two daughters-in-law to the blaze in the city’s north-west”You are such a great father and such a loving person.
It’s a miracle you survived it,” Sandra said.”
We have no other options but to make do.
It took a lot of willpower, determination, resilience and the strength to stay alive.”
Sandra says she has no idea what she would do without her sons and daughters-as-children.
Sandra lost her three children and two of her daughters-of-a-bunch in the house fire.
Her sons, Matthew and Jordan, were six months old and her daughters Chloe and Kaitlin, were eight months old.
“My husband Chris was a single father who had lost his son and his two children in a house blaze,” she said.
“It was so hard to watch my sons go from being two months old to four months old with no food or water and just being left in their father’s care alone in the cold and damp.”
In an emotional interview with ABC radio Melbourne, Ms Sandra said she was left feeling “like a piece of junk”.
“It’s a very hard situation,” she told host Ben Davies.
“I’m not one of those people who would be happy with a house full of rubbish and nothing to eat, but it’s not for me.”
When you’re stuck in a fire, it’s all you have, you don’t even have the opportunity to get out.
“In the interview, Ms Nancy said she felt a “huge sense of loss” and was “so upset” she was leaving her two sons behind.”
He’s a wonderful little boy who loves his daddy and is very, very affectionate with him,” she explained.”
But you’re left with nothing to hold onto.
I was very, much upset.
It was just not right.
“It was like a hole in my heart.
It felt like a huge hole.”
She said the family’s only possessions were a few blankets and clothes.
“You’re going to have to try and get some food, some socks and a bit of water,” she warned.
“They’ll be in the kitchen in the morning and they’re very, really small.
We’re not expecting any food or anything to eat.”
Ms Nancy said her sons-in‑law were “always in the same room with us”, and would come and go from the house to help their father cook or wash their clothes.
She said her husband had been taking care of the children since he lost his life, but the pair were left “on their own” after the fire.
“The last thing we thought about is them, the children, is their father and their mother,” Ms Nancy told Mr Davies.
She also said she hoped that a “big deal” would be made about the “huge mistake” she made in trusting her sons.
“One thing I did was trust Chris, I didn’t know how to trust him,” Ms Sandra told Mr Davis.
“This was not my fault.
It wasn’t my fault they died in a burning house.”
She told him she was “devastated” that her boys had died and that she had not been able to provide for them.
“How can I have kids, if I don’t give them enough to eat?” she said, adding that she hoped someone would come forward to give them some help.
Topics:family,children,fire,community-and-society,fire-suppression,melbourne-3000,vic,melbourn-2450,vicnews-2475,vicFirst posted November 24, 2018 12:07:20Contact Ben DaviesMore stories from Victoria